Saturday, September 11, 2010

DAY 31

Miami has the third largest Jewish population in the United States. Every day, I see member of this chosen race and can’t help but think of their significance in history and in my faith. The very first Christians were the Jewish disciples of Christ and it was they who wrote the gospels and letters that make up our New Testament. As much as this history fascinates me, it also makes me sad. This is a race, a faith, which is continuing to wait for a promise that has already been fulfilled. They work hard to keep the law and all the holy days so that they can gain acceptance in GOD’s eyes, not realizing that their Messiah is standing by waiting to cover them with HIS righteousness.


The eleventh chapter of Romans speaks about how we, the gentile believers, have been grafted into the family of GOD because of Israel’s disbelief. Of that I am grateful, but it still saddens me to see these people so wholly seeking GOD and missing the point. So often, I long to tell them how close they are, but in the realms of business I am never given the opportunity. So, I continue to pray for them. I know that GOD has not forgotten HIS people and will fulfill HIS promises to them.

Regarding the gospel, they are enemies for your advantage, but regarding election, they are loved because of their forefathers, since God’s gracious gifts and calling are irrevocable. {Romans 11:28-29}

Before moving to Miami, the Chosen People were something I thought about only in Biblical realms. But here, they are very real. Currently, they are celebrating their new year and the streets are nearly empty without them. I am continually very much aware of what I have gained at their loss.

So that you will not be conceited, brothers, I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery: a partial hardening has come to Israel until the full number of the Gentiles has come in. {Romans 11: 25}



While posting this blog, I realised that today is September 11.  Nine years ago today the world as we knew it changed.  That day and in the years since, hundreds of thousands of Americans have died in this act of terrorism and the war against such atrocities.  Many more carry physical, mental, and emotional wounds. To me this is  more than a blanket generalisation.  My own family and friends have seen this suffering first hand.  My heart and prayers go out to all the Americans who have felt the effects of the war on terrorism. 

3 comments:

  1. I am in a bible study at church and we are set to read "Captivating". I thought of you. You might want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou, Amy. I love that book so much! I read it a few years ago and have been longing to reread it. Unfortunately, I gave my copy away. I am going to have to cruise on over to CBD and order myself a new copy this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am half way thru the book now. I can't put it done. I am halfway thru a box of tissue too!!

    What a difference this book has made.

    God bless and have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete