Thursday, August 19, 2010

DAY 8

My morning reading now consists of a Daily Bread devotional I found in the back of my Bible and the book of Romans. I started with the devotional this morning and read Joshua 1: 1-9. In this passage, GOD has given Joshua the role of leader to the entire Israelite race. Not only does GOD admonish Joshua to be strong and courageous three times in this passage, he also tells him how keep his eyes on GOD and off of the fearful task before him.


Above all, be strong and very courageous to carefully observe the whole instruction My servant Moses commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right or the left, so that you will have success wherever you go. This book of instruction must not depart from your mouth; you are to recite it day and night, so that you may carefully observe everything written in it. For then you will prosper and succeed in whatever you do. {Joshua 1: 7-8}

Knowing GOD’s instructions is a critical part of our Christian walk. We are to not just read it, but know it. Our Bible is the living word of GOD. By studying it with prayer and an open heart, GOD will use it in a very real way in our daily lives.

For the word of God is living and effective and shaper than any two edged sword, penetrating as far as to divide soul, spirit, joints, and marrow; it is a judge of the ideas and thoughts from the heart. {Hebrews 4:12}

I for one, certainly need clear cut instructions for every step I take and even then I often tremble with fear.  That is where my reading from Romans comes in.

We have received grace and apostleship through Him to bring about the obedience of faith among all nations, on behalf of His name, {Romans 1:5}

Faith does not come naturally. Through obedience I will practice faith in my LORD. When I looked up faith in the dictionary I found unquestioning belief, complete trust or confidence, and loyalty among the definitions. Hummmm, complete trust or confidence…sounds kind of like what it takes to be strong and courageous. When GOD is telling Joshua (or me) to be strong and courageous HE is really saying “have faith…practice obedience of faith.” Then he follows it with a promise.

Haven’t I commanded you, be strong and courageous? Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go. {Joshua 1:9}

2 comments:

  1. What a great post today! Very good readings. You are inspiring me to attend more to my relationship with God. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You long for food, and God gives it to you!

    ReplyDelete